Head of Software Engineering Services (SES)
Location : Dallas, TX
This is a hybrid role, based in G-Research’s office in Dallas.
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
Opened in 2022, the Dallas office is a key infrastructure hub where we work on the latest technologies in a cutting-edge environment.
The Software Engineering Services (SES) Function provides and creates tools, software and security solutions that accelerate delivery for the rest of the Engineering division by centrally solving shared problems.
SES has a wide and flexible remit, ranging from delivering SRE and DevSecOps tooling, education and consulting, and providing high integrity CI, build and CD systems, to running third party systems (such as GitHub, PagerDuty and Artifactory) that the rest of the company depends on.
We are passionate about the developer experience and helping G-Research’s engineers to create secure, high integrity, operationally mature software, and we achieve this by combining the best Open Source tooling and third party commercial systems with our own custom developed software where needed.
We are seeking a Head of Software Engineering (SES), who will report into a Deputy Head of Engineering.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Determining, and accountable for, the roadmap, technical strategy, headcount and budget for the Function, regularly updating and realigning in response to business obstacles and the internal/external environment
- Supporting and leading the managers of the engineering teams within the Function
- Driving collaborative cross-team and functional discussions and decisions on priorities (roadmap), technology and people strategy, effectively balancing the needs of the Function, Engineering and more broadly across G-Research
- Identifying gaps between current and desired future state and defining the practical concrete steps to meet the change required, including making pragmatic decisions on the trade-off between building for the future and tactical resolution of immediate issues
- Evangelising for SES, and positively engaging people by articulating the vision for the development platform and development and operational best practices at G-Research
- Driving a performance-led, growth mind set culture across the Function
- Developing engineering talent and leadership within and across the Function
- Fostering an environment of change and innovation, using knowledge of internal and external environment to seek out improvement and innovation opportunities
- Being accountable for the security and risk environment across the Function, ensuring our security approach (3 Lines of Defence) and risk-related activities are fully integrated into ways of working
- Using business knowledge and networks to collaborate proactively on company-wide initiatives
- Building and maintaining effective external/industry knowledge and network
- Identifying and understanding financial drivers in strategic planning and estimating project and programme timeline and budgets effectively
You will be an intelligent, capable and distinguished team manager or manager of managers, with a proven ability to lead teams that deliver first-class business value.
You will have the breadth of experience necessary to deliver world-beating managerial, technical and thought leadership across a group of highly performing specialist teams.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- A background in software development and management of software development projects; demonstrated success in timely and sustained delivery
- A track record of effective stakeholder management and the ability to influence in complex, cross-functional environments
- Is knowledgeable and passionate about developer experience, security, integrity and operational excellence
- Strong leadership skills and a track record of running organisations with an inclusive culture
- Commercial approach to business delivery and results
- Skilled communicator across all levels of the organisation, with the ability to adapt your communication approach according to the audience/situation
- Experience in developing high performance teams
- Experience of leading software engineering teams focused around developer experience and productivity
- Effective decision making, considering mid-longer horizon impacts on functional, people and roadmap related decisions
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence
- Experience in people development and leading and growing a team of managers
Why should you apply?
- Market-leading compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Excellent paid time off allowance
- Sick days, military leave, and family and medical leave
- Generous 401(k) plan
- 12-weeks’ fully paid parental leave
- Medical and Prescription, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance
- Employee Assistance and Wellness programs
- Generous relocation allowance and support
- Great selection of office snacks, and hot and cold drinks
- On-site gym and car park
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply