Database Platform Reliability Engineer
Location : Dallas, TX
Do you want to tackle the biggest questions in finance with near infinite compute power at your fingertips?
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology firm, with offices in London and Dallas. We are proud to employ some of the best people in their field and to nurture their talent in a dynamic, flexible and highly stimulating culture where world-beating ideas are cultivated and rewarded.
This is a hybrid role based in our new Dallas infrastructure hub where we work on the latest technologies in a cutting-edge environment.
The Database Platform Engineering team is seeking an experienced Database Engineer with a DBRE-focused background to join its expanding team, which utilizes DevOps/Reliability Engineering philosophies.
As a Database Platform Reliability Engineer, you will help us deliver automation, feature enhancements and best practice security on our existing hybrid cloud platforms. You’ll also explore new technologies and integration with other Open Source products within our ecosystem.
We maintain a number of RDBMS, NOSQL database platforms, such as Cassandra, PostgreSQL, SQL Server and Aerospike, in a mix of Linux and Containerised environments. There is a desire to explore other offerings such as Graph, CockroachDB, MongoDB, and deployment onto Kubernetes as our systems evolve and scale in line with the company’s future plans.
There is a significant focus on database as a service DBAAS, configuration management, container orchestration, Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and CI/CD. In return, you will gain exposure to the latest hardware and software technologies.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Delivering engineering solutions aligned to key business initiatives, ensuring they are scalable, stable, performant, and operationally efficient
- Providing metrics, documentation, and self-service infrastructure to help our customers work at pace and get the most out of the platforms
- Configuring and maintaining geo-located estates utilizing technologies such as Clustering, Availability Groups and Patroni
- Exploring new tooling and automation to enhance both the customer and operational user experience
- Using advanced troubleshooting skills to diagnose and fix problems
- Participating in the out of hours rota, providing support and maintenance for our critical systems
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Database administration or engineering on any platform
- Oracle, SQLServer, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Informix, Couchbase, CockroachDB, Yogabyte, ScyllaDB, MongoDB, Datastax, RDS, Aurora, Dynamo, Azure SQL, CosmoDB
- The ability to code/script in any language, preferably Ansible and Python/GoLang
- Cloud technology knowledge and experience, such as Terraform, TFE, AWS, Azure, GCS, OCI or OpenStack
- CI\CD pipeline and orchestration, for example Jenkins
- Knowledge of tooling to facilitate monitoring, metrics and alerting, for example with Prometheus or Grafana
- Reliability and Resiliency experience, HA/DR, Backup solution (Rubrick)
- DB Security and Compliance, with platforms like Imperva, Prisma or Sailpoint
- Working knowledge of storage solutions, such as VAST, Isilon or Portworx
- Experience with container infrastructure, Kubernetes, Portworx storage and Open Source databases such as. Cassandra or PostgreSQL, is highly desirable.
Why should you apply?
Market-leading compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
Excellent paid time off allowance of 25 days
Sick days, military leave, and family and medical leave
Generous 401(k) plan
16-weeks' fully paid parental leave
Medical and Prescription, Dental, and Vision insurance
Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance
Employee Assistance and Wellness programs
Generous relocation allowance and support
Great selection of office snacks, and hot and cold drinks
On-site gym and car parking
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply